UW–Madison alumnus Matthew Moran, who earned his bachelor’s degree in computer science and graphic design/studio art this spring, has been accepted to the Southeastern College Art Conference (SECAC).

“I’m thrilled to be a part of SECAC this year,” Moran says. “It’s my first professional showcase as an artist and I’m glad to be not only representing my work, but the University of Wisconsin–Madison at the national level.”

Moran’s research focuses on data visualization for mental health with virtual reality.

“I created this piece during my art independent study course with Professor (Yeohyun) Ahn. My vision for the piece was to explore the intersection of art, technology, and mental health in a way that blends pseudo-abstract beauty with tranquility,” Moran says.

He explains that his piece decreases anxiety through the effect of noise-canceling headphones and brown noise. As a result, it creates a “beautiful multi-sensory experience,” and has a “notable, physical impact on the viewer.”

Moran adds: “All too often mental health is something abstract and intangible. Here, the sweeping visuals serve as a reminder that mental health is personal, complicated, and dynamic. It’s also something we need to spend time with to better understand.”