One Winter Park artist now gets to see one of her creations every time she hops on a flight out of Orlando.

Sculptor Barbara Sorensen [BS-Art ’68] recently had one of her works hand-picked and installed at the Orlando International Airport. The installation gives travelers a piece of art to examine and enjoy as they arrive and depart.

The art hangs from a wall not far from one of the security screening areas, in a hallway that leads to the airport’s recently constructed automated people mover complex and a future south terminal.

“I’m honored to have it in here,” Sorensen said. “It’ll be here for posterity, so my children will always remember Orlando as their home with this piece. It’s almost like a commemorative piece for my family.”

The sculpture, titled “Ripples,” is made up of several aluminum pipes that were cut in half, twisted and bent into wavy shapes, and painted white on a wooden board.

Sorensen said the work, which was originally on display at the Mennello Museum of American Art last fall, was inspired by the way water in a lake or an ocean “dances” on its own.

“One of the things I see is that Orlando is scattered with lakes and water,” Sorensen said. “My piece addresses the gorgeous water we have. When I look at the surface of water, I see movement. I see action. I see dancing on top of the water.”

Read more at the Orange Observer