How to Apply
Apply as an incoming Freshman or Transfer Undergraduate student:
- Freshman students can apply using either the UW System Application or the Common Application. Transfer students must apply via the UW System Application. Direct all questions about the main application to: Office of Admissions and Recruitment
- On the application, indicate ART or PRE-ART EDUCATION as your intended major. This selection is not binding.
- Submit your portfolio through Slideroom below, select: Portfolio Submission for Incoming 2021-22, Art Freshman & Transfer Students.*
*Portfolio submission is not currently required for admission, but is strongly recommended. Portfolio submission is required to be considered for incoming art student scholarships. Reviewing your portfolio allows the Art Department to send a recommendation to the Admissions Office on the applicant’s behalf, as a supplement to your main application.
The UW-Madison Office of Admissions and Recruitment makes all final admissions decisions.
Undergraduate Portfolio Submission
Submit a portfolio of 8-12 images. Make sure images are in focus and well-lit. Our program prioritizes original ideas in art-making. Select images that show us who you are as an artist!
Portfolio Submission Deadlines:
- For Early Action, the Art Department must receive your portfolio by November 1
- For Regular Decision, the Art Department must receive your portfolio by February 1
Please email Undergraduate Programs Assistant and Advisor for Potential Students and Art/Design Certificate Students Matt Mauk with further questions.
Undergraduate Program Information Sessions
The University of Wisconsin-Madison Art Department hosts information sessions for prospective art students on select Monday and Fridays throughout the semester and summer months.
We provide an overview of undergraduate Art Department programs and discuss degree options, course offerings, and various opportunities available for Art students at UW-Madison. These sessions last about one hour and include a tour of some of our classrooms and facilities.
You are also able to register for a general UW-Madison campus tour, a housing tour, or an admissions information session on the Office of Admissions’ Visit Bucky portal. These sessions are recommended for first time visitors to campus.
UW-Madison Arts on Campus also offers a Creative Campus Tour: a walking tour that visits many art spaces on campus. This option is great for students who are interested in various arts areas available for study at UW-Madison.