HOW TO APPLY
Follow these steps to apply as an incoming Freshman or Transfer Undergraduate student.
- Begin the main University of Wisconsin-Madison application using either the UW Systems Application or the Common App. Any questions about applying should be directed to the Office of Admissions and Recruitment.
- Indicate ART or PRE-ART EDUCATION as your intended major on your application. This selection is not binding, but allows us to view your application status.
- Submit your 8-12 image portfolio using our Slideroom account, detailed below. Students will complete Program 3—Portfolio Submission for Incoming 2019-20, ART FRESHMAN ART TRANSFER STUDENTS.*
- E-mail Undergraduate Programs Assistant Shannon Jones to confirm that you are on the list of potential Art Majors.
*Portfolio Submission is not currently required for admission, but is strongly recommended. Reviewing your portfolio allows the Art Department to send a recommendation to the Admissions Office on the applicant’s behalf, as a supplement to your main application. The UW-Madison Office of Admissions and Recruitment makes all final acceptance decisions.
Undergraduate Portfolio Submission
Submit a portfolio of 8-12 images.
Students working primarily in digital media should include a minimum of four hand-created works (drawings, paintings, prints, or sculptures) in their portfolios. Make sure images are in focus and well-lit. Our program prioritizes original ideas in art-making. Select images that show us who you are as an artist!
Portfolio Submission Deadlines:
- For Early Action, the Art Department must receive your portfolio by November 1, 2018.
- For Regular Decision, the Art Department must receive your portfolio by February 1, 2019.
Please email Undergraduate Programs Assistant Shannon Jones with further questions.
Undergraduate Program Information Sessions
These sessions take about one hour including a brief tour of the facilities.
Friday, November 9, 2018
Friday, November 16, 2018
Friday, December 7, 2018
Interested in studying Art at UW-Madison? Attend this information session if you are an admitted student, currently in the application process, or even just starting your college exploration process. This session is run by our Undergraduate Programs Assistant Shannon Jones (BFA 2016). We will provide an overview of Art Department programs and discuss degree options, course offerings, and various opportunities available for art students at UW-Madison. A brief tour of our classrooms and facilities will conclude the approximately hour-long session.
Hourly parking: State Street Campus Garage, 430 N. Frances St or 415 N. Late St
Metered parking is available outside the Humanities building. Campus parking information can be found at UW-Madison Parking Services.