East Carolina University’s Mi-Sook Hur [MFA ’98] has received a prestigious U.S. Fulbright Scholar Program award for the 2024-25 academic year.

Hur is a professor of metal design in the ECU School of Art and Design in the College of Fine Arts and Communication. She earned her Bachelor of Fine Arts in metalwork and jewelry from Seoul National University and a Master of Fine Arts in metals from the University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Hur will conduct a 10-month research project exploring traditional Korean crafts in metalsmithing and enamel at her alma mater in South Korea.

“My primary focus is to uncover the barriers inhibiting innovation within these age-old practices and propose alternative methodologies to invigorate them,” she said. “This endeavor involves immersive research, collaborative efforts with industry experts, museum visits and apprenticeships under esteemed masters.”

Since joining ECU in 1999, Hur has taught metal design and first-year shared experience courses. Her artistic focus revolves around creating realistic images inspired by nature, delving into the contemporary studies of Limoges enamels.

“I am excited to expand my expertise in cross-cultural research,” Hur said. “This opportunity aligns with the university’s strategies to expand and enrich external partnerships by fostering collaboration with the host university.”

Hur will begin her residency in August and will be based at Seoul National University’s College of Fine Arts.

“I will be engaged with a diverse community of faculty, students and researchers, fostering a spirit of collaboration and knowledge exchange. Through this immersive experience, not only will I advance my research objectives, but I will forge lasting connections and contribute to the global dialogue on the preservation and evolution of traditional crafts,” she said.