Madison-based artist Ash Armenta will be the 2022-23 Artist-in-Residence at Thurber Park

Madison, WI – The Madison Arts Commission and The Bubbler at Madison Public Library are pleased to announce that Ash Armenta has been selected as the 2022-23 Thurber Park Artist-in-Residence.

The Madison Arts Commission and The Bubbler at Madison Public Library launched the Thurber Park Artist Residency in 2019, which is based out of a dedicated art studio at Thurber Park [3325 Thurber Ave]. The Artist-in-Residence has access to a rent-free studio space for 11-months and receives a stipend. Additionally, the artist has the opportunity to create an outdoor public artwork for consideration by the City of Madison. The Artist-in-Residence works closely with The Bubbler at Madison Public Library to engage the local community through open studio days, community workshops, or other strategies determined by the artist and residency administrators.

“We’re looking forward to seeing how a new artist will engage and interpret this exciting space and project,” stated Trent Miller, Head Bubblerarian at The Bubbler.

By activating this space, the Thurber Park Artist Residency supports an artist with funding, time, and space to further develop their own art practice, as well guidance and funding towards potentially developing and installing a public art piece.

Ash Armenta is a print media artist from the Bay Area of California and a 2022 MFA graduate of the University of Wisconsin-Madison.

“As I exit my Master of Fine Arts program, I am looking forward to making work in a context that can more directly connect me with my surrounding community. I’m excited at the prospect of the Thurber Park studio as a place where I can invite guests to engage with me and my practice,” says Armenta.