UW-Madison Art Department Frequently Asked Questions About Academics



Main Office

UW-Madison Art Department
School of Education
6241 Humanities Building
455 North Park Street
MadisonWI  53706

Tel: 608/262-1660
Fax: 608/265-4593

Email: artinfo@education.wisc.edu
or by contact form

Facebook  RSS  UW Art Department on Tumblr  UW Art Department on Twitter


Academics FAQs

Undergraduate FAQs

How do I make an appointment with the undergraduate art advisor?

Please call the Art office at 608/262-1660 or write ArtFrontDesk@education.wisc.edu. Appointments with the undergraduate advisor are available Monday through Thursday. Same day appointments are sometimes available, but in most cases the advisor is scheduled 2-3 days out. During peak advising periods, please call at least one week ahead.

Is it possible to complete another major along with my art major?

Art studio majors may complete a second major in any Letters & Sciences Department, upon permission from that department and the School of Education. Students complete only the major couse work for a second major - not L & S general education and breadth requirements. Please call 608/262-1660 to make an appointment with the undergraduate Art advisor to discuss options and possibilities.

Can I minor in art?

Students completing majors other than Art or Art Education may also complete the Undergraduate Certificate in Studio Art, which is very similar to a minor.

How do I apply for Art Department scholarships?

Early in the spring semester, declared art majors will receive an emailed invitation to apply for scholarships towards tuition for the following academic year. Incoming accepted freshman and transfer students who indicate art on their application will also be sent application forms in late spring.

Is it possible to gain access to courses without having all the prerequisites? How can I get into a course that is closed?

First, try to enroll. Prerequisites are often relaxed or eliminated in many studio art courses.  If you still can't add the class, contact the advisor at julie.ganser@wisc.edu to inquire about consent. If the course is about to start, please contact the instructor directly by email, being sure to include your student ID number and the course and section number. If consent is granted, the instructor should forward this information to bmartz2@wisc.edu. You should then be cleared to enroll within a few days. Be sure to add the course to your schedule as soon as possible, as consents do expire.

Graduate FAQs

What courses will fulfill the outside academic requirement?

Any course outside both the Art and Art History departments that does not have a studio component and is 300-level or above will fulfill the outside academic requirement.  A third Art History course will not count toward this requirement.

How do I submit my exhibition information for inclusion in the weekly newsletter?

Email an image and information regarding your exhibition to images@education.wisc.edu by 6 p.m. on Friday for inclusion in the following Tuesday's newsletter.

When should I form my committee?

You should form your committee during the second year of your graduate studies.  You will need three tenure-track Art Department professors on your committee to obtain an MA and four such professors on your committee if you intend to receive an MFA degree.  You may have an additional committee member of your choosing from any department.

© 2017 Board of Regents of the University of Wisconsin System • Please contact the School of Education External Relations Office with questions, issues or comments about this site.